Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gabby La La plays the Korg DS-10

No, it's not Lady Gaga, it's Gabby La La.



This is Gabby La La performing at the 2010 loopfest in Santa Cruz, California. I don't usually show other people's work on this blog but I'll make an exception because this video shows what I've been waiting to see for quite some time: somebody using the Korg DS-10 alongside "real" instruments (that don't have chips). Yep, if I had to play live, I would definitely have the Korg DS-10 play something in the background and a "real" instrument (an electric guitar for example) play the lead (and not just to have your hands occupied at doing something other than poking a stylus at a tiny screen). It obviously gives a more human feel to the performance on so many levels. Here, Gabby is playing the sitar and I gotta say she's pretty darn good at it. Cherry on the cake: she sings too. A bit of a bummer: the DS-10 is here reduced to loop playing. I would have loved to see the tiny digital synthesizer being given a more prominent role while still being in the background of the sitar but you can't have everything.

I am sure she could have used a lot of other gadgets for the loop so I find it pretty cool and worth mentioning that she's using the Korg DS-10 in her live act.

You can find much more about Gabby La La at Gabby La La official website.

Note: I had absolutely no idea who Gabby La La was until today!

No comments:

Post a Comment